Sunday, August 23, 2015

What if Nobody Ever Hears My Songs?

“Every man, and for stronger reasons, every artist, wants to be recognized. So do I.” - Albert Camus 

When I was a young songwriter, long before I became a full time producer, I used to really worry that if I died no one would have ever really heard my songs. Oh sure, my family and friends knew I was a songwriter, but I fretted hard about the world not knowing my work even existed!

At that point I had probably written 400 or so songs since I was in high school. I was raising a young family, and working full time at a corporate job. But as always in my life, I was writing songs like crazy.


About that time, I wrote a song called “Be Still”. Not exactly a unique title, but I had only started writing Christian songs in earnest several years before. I felt it was a strong song, maybe the strongest I had written up to that point.

“If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.” - Milton Berle

I had recently met a pro songwriter who was signed to a publishing deal in Nashville (remember this was the early 1990's), and showed the song to him. He liked it, and pitched it to his publishing company for me. Their response was that it “had no legs”, and other pithy publisher comments that meant they simply didn't know what they'd do with it.

I can't say I was crushed, because I always am writing a better song. But I felt more and more like I was spinning my wheels. Why would God give me this talent if no one would ever hear my songs?

Then, that same songwriter called me to say he was producing an indie record for someone in Indiana. He had shown them my song “Be Still” and they loved it. They wanted to put it on their record. It ended up as the first song on the record.

Almost instantly the feeling that strangers would never hear my music abated. Since then of course I've written and co-written hundreds of songs on artist's records and releases of my own that are out on CDs, iTunes, Amazon, YouTube, Spotify, etc., and can reach strangers easily around the world. My songs have been and are part of ministries literally around the world.

But I will never forget how that one opportunity and use of one song kind of changed my whole thinking. I could relax and get to work without all the stress and worry.

All you need is one solid use or release of one song and it can totally change how you see yourself, your songwriting, and your place in this world.

Keep working to find the right opportunity, the right ear, the right recording. Your job as a songwriter is to reach people with your songs. Find a way and you may just find peace of mind!

So though there are many things I would have done differently, I submit to God's sovereignty and His purpose in my life and I thank Him that He brought me the way He brought me and gave me what He gave me when He thought I could handle it. - T. D. Jakes

“Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition.” - Abraham Lincoln

Have a great week!

EC
--
Eric Copeland was a songwriter first before he ever became a producer, arranger, website designer or the other hats he wears at Creative Soul. For more info on what he does for Christian songwriters and artists, check out CreativeSoulOnline.com

Also check out our unique site for Christian songwriters at FromtheMomentMusic.com

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Eric Copeland is an author, producer, keyboardist, songwriter, and president of Creative Soul Companies. What is Creative Soul? Our main goals are to inform, encourage, and assist Christian creative folks in ministry, no matter where they are in their journey. Thanks for reading! Find out more about us at http://www.CreativeSoulOnline.com